So after being inspired by a solution I found on the net, I was able to convert this area to house 3 laundry baskets to hold dirty clothes. Above them is a ventilated shelf above that for hanging things. Future plans include some sort of flat surface for folding.
To build you will need:
- (3) 2-bushel size Sterilite laundry baskets. I got them from Walmart for $8 each.
- (3) 1x2x8 pine cut into (8) 19" pieces for the side supports + (1) 24" piece for the rear support of the countertop
- 3" wood screws
A height of 13" in between each support works well.
For some finishing,
- Add a strip of felt fabric for each support to help making sliding easier,
- Dowels inserted two-thirds towards the back of the side support strips to create mild "stops" for the pulling out of the baskets
- Shoe molding or something for the front edges for a more polished look
- Curtain or some decorative window panel to hide them if you like leaving your laundry door open
|I re-purposed some wood strips I had left over from another project|
Its a really simple way to achieve a load of convenience...dirty clothing optional